Clark's Garage Message Board Forum Index Clark's Garage Message Board
A message board for 924/944/968 owners.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Clark's Garage Home
Due to the large number of spam registrations I was receiving, I have removed the link to allow automatic registering. If you would like to register on the message board, you may send me an email with the user name you prefer and I will register you manually and assign a temporary password. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MEGASQUIRT 2 in my 924s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Clark's Garage Message Board Forum Index -> Stand Alone Engine Management and Fuel Management Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean924s
Site Admin

Location: Home of the Patriots, There is a Baseball Team here also. What is there name?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking I should up the watts to 50W resistors. This may keep the heat down along with a lower resistance. Anyway we will see.

Dean

"WAR - It doesn’t matter who is right only who is left."
"Physics - A silent killer."

Car Specs & Mods http://clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2937
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dean924s
Site Admin

Location: Home of the Patriots, There is a Baseball Team here also. What is there name?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: PROGRESS!!!!!! Reply with quote

What I did tonight.

First off I cleaned up the grounding. I soldered in all the remaining ground leads on the DME plug and mounted them and the grounds from the MS all to the aluminum plate of the DME housing. I then fabricated up a heavy gauge wire that I connected to the two heavy ground leads in the harness and weird them back to my power supply. In short the system now has very solid and positively connected grounding.

I upgraded the wiring from power supply I am using and upgraded the fuzz I had in line to a more solid unit I had on the shelf to make sure the power supply was solid.

I then hooked everything up as it was with the JimStim wired to the pip and saw leads to mimic my EDIS ignition and I got the exact same results. The injectors would shut down over about 3000 rpm and letting it run for 10 minutes or so resulted in the resistors getting so hot I could not touch them. I was using the same 10R 25W resistors I had before.

So since I did not get to pick up the 4R 50W resistors and I did not want to open the 4R 25W ones I purchased today as I was going to return them.

So on to plan B. Set it up with out the resistors in the injector circuit.

I bypassed the resistors all together and plugged in the values that Peter posted over on the MSEXTRA board that I posted earlier. I hooked everything up again and. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!

I think at this point I am going to educate my self on using the low Ohm Injectors and just abandon using in line resistors all together.

I would still like to know what went wrong with the resistors I had and what would be the proper resistors to use but for now it is working. I ran it for about 45 min on the bench cycling the TPS, RPM and MAP inputs While keeping an eye on the injector temps and all was perfect. The injectors stayed cool to the touch and all the readings in tunerstudio were spot on!!!!

So I think I am finally ALL SET!!!

I have to clean up the wiring finalize the WBO2 wiring and it is done!!!! It is installation in car time. Final After 2 years of mucking with this I can not believe that I am finally at this point. The next thing will be tuning the car but I am hoping that the auto tuning portion of tunerstudio will make that as simple as just driving the car around.

Dean

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of stuff. I need to clean up the wiring and remove the resistors from the DME housing but it is all up and running through the OE harness.

Overview of the engine harness, all the sensors and injectors connected and the MS and its harness on the work bench
Click to view this image at its original size
Click on the image to view it at its original size

DME with all the ground leads in place and all the leads soldered in place. The only thing no done here is to put some heat to the shrink wrap and I have to make a permanent connection for the injector wires. I temporarily soldered two mail spade connectors together back to back to connect the two leads together to test the setup with out the resistors.

JimStim with EDIS leads connected.

The injectors. These are 2.4R #35 injectors I had. You can see a set of stock 944 injectors in the lower left of the photo.

IAT and CLT sensors. You can see the resistor that was in line with the coolant temp sensor that some one put in the harness. I have bypassed it as it is not stock.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thread over on the MSEXTRA Forum discussing the Hot Resistors. intresting information from some really smart people over there.

Link:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=45634

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the HOT SALSA container in one of the photos. Now I want some LOL

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Progress has come to a temporary stop. I have to replace the head gaskets on the mustang before I can do the MS installation and the tuning of the MS on the 924s. I have been putting this off for a while but it finally got to the point that it has to be done and I can not have both cars down at the same time if something goes wring with the MS install.

I have the heads off and everything cleaned up and ready to install. I am waiting on parts. They are due in next week. It should take a weekend to finish the mustang and then it is back to the MS install on the 924s.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update the mustang ended up being a complete motor rebuild and well has taken allot of time. I should ahve it finished in 2 weeks. I need this comming weekend to finish it and next weekend to install it. This is very fustraiting as I ahve the complete MS system with the wiring harnes all hooked up with all teh sensors adn injectors adn teh Jim Stim sitting in a box just waiting to go in the car.

Once I get this up and running I have also sorted out the boost for my car. t is getting a hybrid M62 I assembled from a Buick Riv supercharger and a supercharger form a C230. the basic problem was I wanted the back housing form the m62 from the C230 but the snout and the pully were wrong (3 1/2" electronic clutch) This resulted in virchally no boost. The Buick Riv's in the early 90s had M62's with a short snout and a smaller pully however the back housing was very unfriendly for mounting.

So I put the back half from the C230 and the frount snout and impellers form the Riv and you end up with the best of both worlds!!!! By the math I should be at 10lbs of boost. Figuar losses in the system and in the suppercharger and I should see 6-7 lbs of boost. Exactly waht I wanted to start with.

I think these photos will explain things better:

These are the two supperchargers. Note the custom pully I made for the C230 unit

Swap housings around and you get this.

The one on the left is what I have been looking for. The perfect unit for mounting in a 944.

So as you can see I have not been sitting around doing nothing I have once again jumped ahead assuming that the MS is done and Have moved on the the next part of the MS project.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain.. . . .

I solved a major problem that was stopping me from getting the mustang back on the road last night. There is a piece of specially bent steel tubing that conducts water to the heater core from the water pump across the top of the motor that some how got bent during the removal process. Close inspection found that a couple of the brazed on connections at several of the fittings on it were cracked.

I tried the Ford dealer but it is a NLA part. Used people are asking $100 if you can find them. Junkyard ones are just as rusted as mine and since they are steel and the water pump housing is aluminum the galvanic reaction this creates welds the two parts together with corrosion. So it was time to repair and refurbish what I got. I first reformed it back to the proper shape by carefully heating it and bending it in my tubing bender. I then cleaned it back to bare metal and brazed all the cracked and floated new metal around all the joints. I then pressure tested it and it worked perfectly. A quick coat of engine paint to make it look like a new factory part and I was ready to get back to finishing the head gasket job.

I go out side this morning and RAIN!!!!! A nice cold fall rain. Just hard enough so you can not really get anything done outside. Sad I hope this clears up so I can get the mustang going. It has been off the road since the spring. I am this close to completing it!! With the mustang completed I can then install the MS in the 924s. And then do the mock up of the supercharger.

I so need to build a garage that has a real shop in it. Maybe if I sell it to my wife by saying it allow me to move all the stuff out of the basement (where my shop is at the moment) and we can build a new study / entertainment room down there. Hmmm I have to work on this.

I am so close guys. If the weather holds I will have the mustang completed by next weekend. I figure the Porsche will take me a couple weekends to make the MS conversion and get running. Probably optimistic on my part but worth trying.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to let everyone know this is not forgotten. However life has got in the way. My partner of almost 20 years has got really sick, My godfather suffered kidney failure and fell and ended up in a rehab facility and a very close family friend passed away. Needless to say cars have been on the back burner for a while. My MS setup is complete sitting in a cardboard tray all wired up ready to go. I may get some time around the holidays however I have picked up 4 new large jobs so now work seems to be getting in the way as well. Maybe it is good to take a break for a little while. I think I will pull the setup out and fire it up on the bench again just to get me motivated and test everything again. No worries I will finish this. It is not a money thing as so many of these projects end up being stopped by. The system is complete and I have all the needed materials to make the conversion. It is a time management issue. I don't have enough time to manage to get to work on this at the moment.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the speed and reference sensor wires finally disintegrated on my car and I am not going to replace them as one of the whole ideas of this project was to not have to rely on them to run my car. So although we have 6 inches of snow on the ground I am going to pull out the MS and re test everything this week and then start the install as soon as temps get above freezing.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No progress on this for the moment. I have been working WAY to much on a project that is taking most of my time, (but is paying the bills) and I have needed to keep the car in service as my other car decided to burn up the cooling fan that in turn caused it to blow a head gasket.

I have done a bunch of bench testing and for all intensive purposes the system is up and running on the bench through a 944 engine harness that has all the 944 sensors attached to it. I have mimicked the EDIS pip and saw with the Jim Stim I have system it through hours of operation on the bench and it has tested out perfectly flawless.

As soon as I can get a brake I am back on this. Or I am looking at either a 944s2 or a 968 as a dd replacement and if that happens I can then make the change over on the 924s.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

Bringing this up from the dead.

I have had a rather interesting year away from cars due to work. My friend and business partner of 20 years passed away and cars had to be moved to the back burner. My 924s was about the only constant in my life up until July of this year and it decided to just stop. So I just went and got another car and shelved the 924s.

In the mean time life has got much better. The business is percolating along. I have a couple new employees that can actually get work done with out me hovering over them. I also started up a new business through all of this rebuilding 944 stearing intermediate shafts and that has taken off quite nicely.

Last weekend I decided that I missed my 924s so I dusted it off dove in to it and found the issue (a bad coil). Replaced it and she sprung to life as to say "what took you so long" Took it for a spin and that stupid grin I use to have was back. You all know the one you get when you hit the perfect heal and toe in to an off ramp, clip the apex and squeezing the power on as you merge in to traffic. Dam did I miss my trusty 924s!!!!

Well I have another DD now so my humble 924s can now have the surgery that I have wanted to do for quite some time. The plan is to move forward with both the MS unit and the M62 in one shot as I have another couple of cars that I can drive

I am having a new windshield installed on Tuesday and after that I will be installing the MS unit (probably over the following weekend) and all the bits and pieces I have and see if we can get her to run. I still have to fabricate a mounting bracket for the M62 as well as figure out what intercooler I will be using. I have collected 3 or 4 intercoolers of various sizes as I have pondered various mounting options.

So the short of it is I am back and Will be updating things as I can. Hopefully things will move forward now with some momentum.

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a year and again nothing to report. Shortly after I posted that the rod bearings in my car decided to go south (only 250K miles or so) The car has about 1 bar at cold idle and zero oil pressure at hot idle. Needles to say the motor needs some attention and with that I parked it and have not been back to it. It is not forgotten just life has got in the way and it has been on the back burner waiting for its time..

Dean

Dean924s
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new motor this fall and once things get a bit warmer I am going for the full on M62 swap with MS controlling everything. Stay tuned.

Dean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Clark's Garage Message Board Forum Index -> Stand Alone Engine Management and Fuel Management Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: